Every once in a while, in the middle of an ordinary life, Love gives us a Fairytale.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

10 years ago...




Ten years ago today, my very special, wonderful mother passed away. She was diagnosed with cancer July 23 1999. The doctors said she had cancer in her brain. The following Monday, they ran more tests and found the cancer in her liver, lungs, back and in the bone. I had just turned 22 and couldn't believe that my mom who was 41 was going to die. Radiation and Chemo did not help and during that month I learned all too fast about growing up. My sister Alli was 21, Mel was 19 and Ryan was 14 just going into High school.
Growing up I would say our family was very close. We did everything together and had a lot of fun. Our home was the hang out place to be after school and in the summer we made our yearly school shopping trip to SLC to buy our school clothes. We spent numerous times in West Yellowstone and sightseeing the parks. We spent every birthday together as a family with a few friends over, and every dinner was spent at the table together. We could talk to our Mom about anything. She taught us about working. She worked hard all her life and taught us to appreciate what we have. My mom took me dragging main my very first time with all my girlfriends. First time driving at night. Granted she ducked her head when I got high centered on a curb, but we were all laughing so hard it was funny. She taught me how to cook and clean and grocery shop. I learned a lot from my mother. Too many to put on this blog.
She was the mom that all our friends liked. Our boyfriends liked being at our house. Our friends from school liked coming over and didn't care if our parents were around. My mom was very cool!
In the last few weeks of my mothers life, I was able to spend time with her, take her to radiation, and just sit by her side. I thought a lot during that time also. She would never see me get married, she would never hug me again. She would not be with me when I had babies, and teach me to be a mother. I couldn't just call and talk to her whenever I wanted and ask her how to make something or what should I take if I am not feeling well. She would not be here the rest of my life. It was a very sad time and very special. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and what a great Grandma she would have made. I know she is in a better place, and that she is watching over me. I know that my babies have been with her in heaven and she has taken care of them before they came to me. I miss my mom everyday and I wonder what she thinks of me? I hope I have made her proud and that when my journey ends, I will be able to wrap my arms around her and never let go. Mom, I LOVE YOU!

7 comments:

Ashley Mullen said...

Your mom was a wonderful woman. Our thoughts go out to your family today!

Anonymous said...

Your mom is very proud of you and your cute family. I love you all. You are always in my heart.
Love, Lit'l Grandma Connie

cassy said...

I can't find the right words at this moment in time to say to you. Maybe it's b/c I can't stop crying!
You are a wonderful Mommy.

segura2salazar said...

July - What a beautiful tribute for a wonderful mom! Just reading this reminds me of what a great/fun mom you had! I'm sure that this is such a bittersweet time for you. I also believe that your mom spent time snuggling, kissing and rocking your babies before they came down to you. I am sure she sent them with an extra dose of love sent just for you! Love ya - A

Solomon Kids said...

Thanks for making me cry juls! I swear i'm just like my mom! Everything makes me cry!!! I can't believe it has already been that long! I know she is proud of you!love ya!

The Mortensens said...

I just woke up and I didn't think that I would be bawling. I was so young when your mom died but I to remember all the times sitting on your guys porch with the moms and having fun. You and your family are amazing, I have no idea how I could handle not having my mom here. I love you guys. I am glad that the skids and hughes's will always be a family.

Missy said...

Jules- I can't believe it has been 10 years! She is SO proud of you. I know she is watching over you every moment of every day! She was the best! We all loved her. Just of all the people she is teaching and helping in heaven...she is at peace. Love ya