Every once in a while, in the middle of an ordinary life, Love gives us a Fairytale.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

LABOR DAY IN MOAB!

Friday night we decided to go to Moab on Saturday and the spend the weekend there hiking and sightseeing. I got us a hotel and we called and asked Connie to come with us. We left Saturday and hit a few thundershowers and lightning on the way, but it was a good drive. The lightning was pretty. We got up early on Sunday morning and drove to Arches national park.We stopped at Balanced Rock on our way to Delicate Arch.
We wanted to hike to Delicate Arch and then some other arches. It was overcast and we had a few scattered showers but it made for a very nice hike. We didn't have to endure temperatures that were very hot. This was great!
The trail to Delicate arch is 1.5 miles there and 1.5 miles back. 3 miles roundtrip. I sure hoped I could do this.. as I am not very athletic. I thought, if Connie who has MS can do it.. I for sure could. The trail started out great and then it was like uphill on rock forever!! I thought for sure I was going to die. Cory packed Cayman on his back in a carrier and Connie did great. After a while longer, we made it. There it was... a most wondrous and spectacular sight. Delicate Arch. What a view. I will never forget coming around the corner and BOOM...there it is.

It was beautiful. Moab is such a beautiful area.


We had so much fun and then on the way back Cayman got tired and fell asleep. I have no idea how she even slept like this.

We hiked around for most of the day...and we probably did around 5-7 miles.

Cayman did really well and probably hiked for about half of what we did. We hardly carried her except when she wanted us too. What a little Trooper. We went to the Canyon lands national park later that day and walked around the rim of the canyon. How scary is it that there are no railings and you could see for miles and miles down and around? You could easily fall off the ledge and die, but I kept thinking how beautiful a place to be. It was really breathtaking.



The landscape and the beauty is well worth the pain of how I felt the next morning. I hurt all over!! And I had nightmares all night about falling off the ledge with Cayman. On Sunday we went to Slickrock which Cory wanted to show Cayman. He came here alot growing up and loves it so he wanted to let Cayman play on the rocks.


It was really windy and the higher up you got it would blow you over. We only stayed a little bit but Cayman had a great time. Connie was great to let us go out each night while she watched Cayman and got her ready for bed. It was really nice to have some alone time with each other. This weekend was really fun and I can't believe I am saying this, but I want to hike the Delicate arch again!!! SOON!! It really is beautiful. If you haven't been, you need to go.

3 comments:

C.J. and Jackie said...

Sure sounds like a fun trip. Glad you survived the hikes.

Maines said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I love MOAB, it is so beautiful. Im glad you made the hike... 7 miles is a ways for me!

C.J. and Jackie said...

Hey Jules! When we move back we should go. I have never hiked to the Arches and I want to go!